A fire that broke out Thursday evening damaged part of the kitchen and one of the pits at Baker’s Ribs, but the owners are hopeful that business will be up and running in a little over a week.
“Things are coming along pretty well, and we’re hoping to be open in 10 days to two weeks,” co-owner Deeanna Krier said.
According to Krier, the fire started when a large log in one of two pits in the kitchen got jammed, letting oxygen in. The fire started around 7:30 p.m. and staff and customers noticed smoke coming out along the ceiling.
“There was no fire or damage anywhere else, but we did, of course, lose every morsel of food we had in the building because the electricity was shut off and the health department ordered us to dispose of everything,” Krier said. “They declared it contaminated, so we got rid of every piece of food, every paper cup and every paper sack.”
On top of the food loss, Krier said employees are suffering from the closing as well.
“Not only is it hurting our catering business, but mostly our employees because they love to work,” she said. “Nobody likes a forced vacation.”
Currently, her husband Brian and insurance adjusters are combing over the area to assess the damages.
The fire is not the first for the couple, as their Mineral Wells location caught fire in June under the same circumstances.
“It’s so unbelievable that we would have two fires at two locations within a year, but since we use pits, there is always a risk,” Krier said. “It’s like people that live by the ocean run the risk of a hurricane.
“I call it an attack from Satan. You have to just get yourself up and keep doing it.”