Weatherford High School kicked off its Homecoming festivities Thursday afternoon with its annual parade down South Main Street. Many of the groups and organizations used the theme of “Up in the Air,” with aerial displays above their floats.
The Class of 2002, the last class to graduate out of what is now the Ninth Grade Center, had a float titled “Cruisin’ with the Class of 2002” with a number of cardboard cars and a 2002 banner across their float towed by Bunion Plumbing. Class spokesman Meg Measures Carter said the class had a lot of spirit in school and several classmates still live in town and around the area which makes it even better.
“Many of us have grown up together since like kindergarten so it’s great we’re still able to reminisce about old times,” Carter said.
Events are scheduled throughout the weekend, including:
• A school pep rally will be held Friday morning where the Homecoming Court will be announced. The king and queen will be announced at halftime of Friday’s football game vs. Paschal.
• The sold-out Ex-Student Association Awards Luncheon is Friday at Chandor Gardens.
• A WHS baseball spaghetti supper is scheduled for Friday night before the football game. The supper, from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Ninth Grade Center cafeteria is an annual fundraiser for the team.
• The Weatherford Football Booster Club will be hosting a reception from 6 to 7 p.m. Friday for WHS alumni at Kangaroo Stadium. The event will be in the reception room across from the spirit shop at the stadium. There will be refreshments and time to catch up with old friends. The club is also asking for any former Roo football player wishing to join the team on the field for the National Anthem to do so.
• Homecoming game kickoff against Paschal is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at Kangaroo Stadium.
• The Athletic Hall of Fame Induction will be held Saturday at 9 a.m. at WHS Durant Auditorium. WHS Athletic Hall of Fame award recipient honorees include: Mark Hicks (Class of 1974), John Moughon (Class of 1948), Teresa Reynolds (Class of 1982), Ed Smith (Class of 1959) and the 1952 WHS Track Team.
• The “We Are One” Carnival takes place from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday at Weatherford High School. This is the first annual event hosted by WHS Cheer. There will be games, prizes, dunk booth, bungee run, bounce houses, cake walk, cotton candy and funnel cakes.
• A Saturday reunion at 7 p.m. at Clear Fork Restaurant in Willow Park where classmates who have passed away will be honored — tickets are no longer on sale. Other classes will be having separate gatherings throughout the weekend, visit http://weatherfordexes.wordpress.com/ for more information.
Find more pictures of the parade here.